100 years celebrated

Hilda Payne, members of Evensong Choir and members of congregation

A special Choral Evensong on Sunday, 22 September 1913, marked 100 years since St Matthew’s moved from the corner of Queen Street and Church Street, to its present site.  The second St Matthew’s church, dedicated on St Matthew’s Day, 1913, was damaged and subsequently demolished following the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake. The present church was dedicated in April 1958. Continue reading