A special Choral Evensong on Sunday, 22 September 1913, marked 100 years since St Matthew’s moved from the corner of Queen Street and Church Street, to its present site. The second St Matthew’s church, dedicated on St Matthew’s Day, 1913, was damaged and subsequently demolished following the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake. The present church was dedicated in April 1958.
The Order of Service included most of the hymns, psalms, canticles and readings used at the Service of Dedication of the Second St Matthew’s Church in 1913.
Clergy Ted Dashfield and Stephen Kimberley discuss last-minute details before the service.
Evensong Choir sits demurely listening to the Reverend Ted Dashfield’s opening remarks
Clergy enjoying a good sing during one of the hymns.
Left to right: Reverends Stephen Kimberley, Liz Greville, David Lacey, David Cole
Evensong Singers take the lead in the hymns
Dan Rodda reads the First Lesson
Vicar’s Warden Edwin O’Hara reads the Second Lesson
Hilda Payne conducts the Evensong Choir singing the anthem
The Reverend Ted Dashfield gives the address
The Reverend Stephen Kimberley, with the Reverend David Lacey in the background
April Bamford leads the intercession.
Joyce and Ngaire Montgomery take the offertory
Vicar Stephen Kimberley gives the Blessing
The Reverend Ted Dashfield thanks the choir.
Organist Barbara Anderson, with the Reverend Ted Dashfield and members of the Evensong Choir
Evensong Choir on the chancel steps.
Hilda Payne, the Reverend Ted Dashfield and Barbara Anderson lined up with the choir for a photo.
The Order of Service for the Evensong on 22 September 2013 is available here (pdf).
Further photographs are available here.
Overview of history of St Matthew’s Church is available here.